When we look for wooden material options to buy or make furniture, it often boils down to choosing either teak or plywood. Well, which one would be the better option to choose?
Both teak wood and plywood are great options because they’re very good materials known for their durability and strength. Hence, it can be a hard choice to make.
If you’re in doubt about which one to choose, this article will teach you the differences between teak and plywood to help you make a decision.
What Is Teak Wood?
Teak wood is a tropical hardwood sourced from the Tectona grandis tree, native to south and southeast Asia.
There are several properties of teak wood that are worth mentioning:
- It has a dense yet smooth texture.
- It’s strong and durable.
- It’s close-grained, meaning it has tightly-packed wooden fibres.
- It’s known to withstand almost any weather condition.
- It’s water resistant.
What Teak Wood Is Used For
Here are some of the many uses of teak wood.
- Teak wood can be used as veneers for furniture, countertops, doors and windows, as it’s one of the best materials for surfaces.
- It’s used for making teak wood furniture meant for indoor purposes like beds, sofa sets, dressing tables, dining tables and chairs, armchairs, cupboards, shelves, drawers, etc.
- Teak wood can be used to make outdoor furniture like tables, chairs, benches, swings, etc.
- It’s used for wood carvings on doors.
- Windows and decorative items are often made of teak wood.
- It can be used for exterior construction like building roofs, staircases, walls, foundations, patios, gazebos, sheds, and any external features.
What is Plywood?
Plywood is engineered wood made from thin wooden sheets or plies piled one on top of the other and glued together using resin adhesive and cured under heat.
Even though plywood is not solid wood, it’s strong, water-resistant, and very durable. It also comes in many types.
What Plywood Is Used For
Here are some of the many uses of plywood.
- Plywood can be used for sheathing purposes. Sheaths are used as materials for panelling.
- Wooden cabinets or shelves can be made using plywood.
- Plywood can be used to make wooden partitions for homes or for use in office spaces.
- It can be used to make doors, door frames, and window frames.
- Plywood can be used to make indoor furniture like wardrobes, shelves, tables, chairs, beds, sofa sets, etc.
- It can be used to make outdoor furniture like deck chairs, outdoor sofa sets, wooden benches, tables, etc.
- Plywood can be used to make floor and ceiling panels.
How Much Does Teak Wood Cost Compared to Plywood?
Compared to plywood, teakwood is more expensive because it’s solid wood. The prices will vary depending on how much wood you purchase and the rates set by your supplier.
On average, teak wood can cost anywhere between Rs. 1,400 to Rs. 4,000 per cubic foot. But these prices can vary from dealer to dealer and the quality of the wood.
Comparative Differences between Teak Wood and Plywood
Here are some of the comparative differences between teak wood and plywood.
|Teak Wood Properties||Plywood Properties|
|Type of wood||Hardwood or solid wood||Engineered wood|
|Strength and durability of the material||Extremely strong and durable||Known to be “split-proof” and is quite strong and durable like teak wood.|
|Protection from environmental conditions||Can withstand any sort of weather conditions like rain, extreme heat, snow etc.||Susceptible to damage if exposed to harsh weather conditions for too long|
|Life expectancy||Life expectancy of the material is 50–70 years and above||Life expectancy of the material is 15 years and above|
|Cost factor||Quite expensive if it’s high-quality teak wood||Cheaper compared to teak wood|
If you’ve decided on plywood, then make sure you go for high-quality and authentic plywood. Sometimes, suppliers tend to rip you off with cheap imitation plywood.
If you are looking to make plywood furniture, AK Plywood is one of the best plywood companies out there. AK Plywoods is a renowned commercial plywood manufacturer that doesn’t skimp out on quality.