Are you planning to purchase marine plywood for your next home improvement project? Then you should be aware that not all marine plywood is made the same.
So, we’ve put together a checklist to help you choose the best quality marine plywood.
Whether you’re a homemaker or an interior designer, this checklist will help you make the right decision. Let’s begin by getting a brief introduction to marine plywood.
(NB: Marine plywood is also known as BWP plywood. So, we’ll be using these terms interchangeably in this blog post.)
What Is Marine Plywood?
Marine plywood, or BWP plywood (boiling waterproof), is a type of wood used in boat building. Being water resistant, it makes a great choice for building boats, docks, and other structures that are constantly exposed to water.
It’s made with two or more layers of wood veneers glued together with waterproof glue. The outer layer often has a thin coating of resin on it to make it even more water-resistant.
In addition to being much stronger than both MR plywood (moisture resistant) and BWR plywood (boiling water resistant), this plywood is also completely waterproof.
The fact that BWP plywood can be submerged for up to three days without suffering damage indicates that it is resistant to water damage.
A frequently overlooked fact about marine plywood is that it’s very adaptable to all climate conditions and can endure extreme changes in temperature and humidity. It can even be exposed to periods of alternate wetting and drying.
How To Identify BWP Plywood and Pick the Best One?
Since there are many plywood stores out there that skimp on the quality of materials and labour when making their plywood, it’s important to know how to identify BWP plywood and select the best product.
To help you make the right decision, here’s a checklist that you must consider before buying marine plywood.
- The BWP plywood you select should be made from only the highest quality materials and use the latest technology to ensure its durability and moisture resistance.
- You should always choose marine plywood that is free of knots, cracks, and voids and has a uniform appearance.
- It should have a good strength-to-weight ratio to give it sufficient strength and durability to withstand any kind of weather conditions.
- Ask about the type of adhesive used. Only the highest quality adhesives guarantee that the marine plywood stands up to the rigours of marine conditions and won’t delaminate, rot, or absorb moisture.
- For this plywood grade, phenol formaldehyde resin is used to bind the layers of plies together since it is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions. The plywood should use a special glueing process that creates a strong bond between each plywood sheet and helps prevent delamination and water damage.
- It needs to be certified by an independent third party to ensure that it is of the highest quality. You need to check if the marine-grade plywood is manufactured in accordance with IS 710 specifications.
- Finally, check the price before making a purchase.
Also Read : Marine Plywood: Price, Types and Uses
Where To Buy the Best Marine Plywood in India
With over 40 years of experience, AK Plywood is a leading company in the plywood industry. They’re known for manufacturing the best BWP plywood in India.
They offer a wide range of marine plywood finishes, sizes, and thicknesses to meet the requirement of small and big projects. In addition, the company is located on the western coast of India, so they know what it takes to make good quality marine plywood.
If you’re looking for marine plywood for your next project, look no further than AK Plywood. You can also check out their full range of plywood products, such as Flexi plywood, pre-laminated plywood, and more, on their website.